Although there is still something less than a month before the start of spring, the season of spring cycling classic opened today, precisely in a country where more luster have such careers :Belgium. The Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, starting and ending in Ghent Flanders after 198 kilometers, has had the honor and the man who has released the spring has been Luca Paolini (Katusha).
The Italian cyclist old dog with over 10 years of professional and multi-behind wins; he has won the game in the final sprint that has been his companion away, the Belgian Stijn Vanderbergh (Omega Pharma-Quick Step). Paolini external his belt this year, leaving the rider, natural of a town near Ghent, with honey on the lips would have been his first professional victory.
The leak of the day formed a large group of riders who, at different lake walls that were part of the route, was selected. One of the first stars of the day, apart from the cold and wet, was Sylvain Chavanel (Omega Pharma-Quick Step), which was the same leader for several kilometers. His flight had no result so head group formed with several cyclists.
In this group we found among many others head to Egoi Garcia (Cofidis), Lars Boom (White) and the two men who were the strongest, and Vanderbergh Paolini. His attack on a stretch of pavé hard earned them to leave alone, and although both Egoi as Boom made efforts to keep the wheel did not prevent the duo took a lead that it would be final.
Vanderbergh Paolini tried to release before, knowing that in a sprint, the Italian was going to win the game by seniority and also legs, and that’s how it happened. Behind, the group fought for the third place winner out another Belgian, Sven Vandousselare (Topsport) while Egoi was the best Spanish occupying tenth end.
- Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha
- Stijn Vandenbergh 2 (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling Team
- Sven Vandousselaere (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise
- Geraint Thomas ( GBr) Sky Procycling
- Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
- Marco Bandiera (Ita) IAM Cycling
- Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling Team
- Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Lotto Belisol
- Maarten Wynants 9 (Bel) White Pro Cycling Team
- Egoitz Etxegibel Garcia (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits