KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Nick Watney missed an opportunity to play 59 committing a bogey on the 18th hole of the CIMB Classic Sunday, but that did not prevent him from establishing a course record by submitting a final map of 61 ( under-10) which allowed him to clinch the victory on the course The Mines. Watney, who needed a birdie on the 18th hole, a par-4, to play 59, sent his tee shot into the long grass to the left of the driveway. It could then send his approach shot on the green and missed his next shot for a birdie.
The American still posted a cumulative score of minus-22 (262) and pocketed a purse U.S. $ 1.3 million for non-official tournament on the PGA Tour. He finished one stroke ahead of the champion of the event in 2011, Bo Van Pelt and Robert Garrigus, three strokes ahead of Tiger Woods. This tournament will be officially part of the PGA Tour schedule next year, when the new campaign gets underway in October after the FedEx Cup. Garrigus Van Pelt and finished tied for second place, after they handed out cards identical to 66 (least-5).
After his five birdies in the first seven holes, Woods played 63 and resulted in equal fourth place in the company of Zimbabwean Brendon de Jonge and Chris Kirk, unless-19. Kirk finished the course in 67 strokes, and de Jonge at 66. Players received relief in the aisles during the last three rounds since the course was flooded in some places by heavy rains in recent days. Final (par 71):
1. Nick Watney (USA) 262 (71-65-65-61)
2. Robert Garrigus (USA) 263 (64-64-69-66)
3. Bo Van Pelt (USA) 263 (70-65-62-66)
4. Tiger Woods (USA) 265 (66-67-69-63)
5. Brendon de Jonge (ZIM) 265 (68-65-66-66)
6. Chris Kirk (USA) 265 (69-66-63-67)
7. Carl Pettersson (SWE) 266 (69-67-68-62)
8. Jbe Kruger (RSA) 267 (66-64-69-68)
9. Pat Perez (USA) 268 (67-68-68-65)
10. Scott Piercy (USA) 269 (75-68-64-62)
11. Gaganjeet Bhullar (IND) 269 (65-72-65-67)
12. Kevin Na (USA) 269 (67-66-69-67)
13. Brian Harman (USA) 269 (64-70-66-69)